Table of Contents
Featured Inuit Dog Owner: Ove Nygaard
An Amazing Lead Dog: The Story of Tatra
A Mystic Reunion
Katan, the Greenland Pup
Oregon Dune Musher's Mail Run
High Arctic Mushing: Part II
Bibliography: Inuit Sled Dog Research
Video Review: Atanarjuat, The Fast Runner
Book Review: To a Lonely Land I Know
Ken MacRury out for a run. Nora Sanders photo
A Sled Dog Bibliography
by Sue Hamilton
Believe it or not, a fair amount of scientific and other scholarly papers about the Inuit Sled Dog has been written. One of the most recent, The Inuit Dog: Its Provenance, Environment and History, is Ken MacRury's (unpublished) thesis submitted in 1991 to fulfill, in part, his Master of Philosophy Degree in Polar Studies undertaken at the Scott Polar Research Institute (Darwin College, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom). Below is but a sampling of the references Ken used in completion of his work and reprinted here with his kind permission. It may be possible through the magic of the internet or, or from a local library, for those not online, to access some of these papers. Thanks to ISDI friend Andrew Bellars, I have copies of his research (included in the references) and am seeking permission from the British Antarctic Survey to reprint them in the Fan Hitch. The work is fascinating and, although over thirty years old, still has much to offer present day ISD enthusiasts.
1. Adie, R. J. 1948. Base E (Stonington) Dog Report, Falkland Islands Dependency Survey, British Antarctic Survey Archival File AD6/2E/1948/R (unpublished).
2. Adie, R. J. 1953. Sledge dogs of the Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey, 1947-50. Polar Record, Vol. 6, No. 45, pp. 631-641.
3. Bellars, A.R.M. 1969a. Hereditary disease in British Antarctic sledge dogs. The Veterinary Record, pp. 600-607.
4. Bellars, A.R.M. 1969b. Veterinary studies in the British Antarctic Survey's sledge dogs: I. Survey of diseases and accidents. British Antarctic Survey Bulletin, No. 21, pp. 1-18.
5. Bellars, A.R.M. & Godsal, M.F. 1969. Veterinary studies on British Antarctic Survey's sledge dogs: II. Occupational osteoarthritis. British Antarctic Survey Bulletin, No. 22, pp. 15-38.
6. Bingham, E.W.1941. Sledging and sledge dogs. Polar Record, Vol. 3, No. 21, pp. 367-386.
7. Bohm, J. Blixenkrone-Mølle, M. & Lund E. 1989. A serious outbreak of canine distemper among sled-dogs in Northern Greenland. Arctic Medical Research, Vol. 48, pp. 195-203.
8. Bostelmann, R.W. 1976. The management of sledge dogs in the Antarctic. Polar Record, Vol. 18, No. 112, pp. 25-35.
9. Cameron, T.W.M. 1938. The feeding of dogs in the Canadian Arctic. Canadian Journal of Comparative Medicine, July 1938.
10. Cameron, T.W.M., Parnell, I.W. & Lysten, L.L. 1940. The Helminth parasites of sledge-dogs in Northern Canada and Newfoundland. Canadian Journal of Research, Vol. 18, pp. 325-332.
11. Choquette L.P.E. & Moynihan, W.A. 1964. Control of disease in dogs in the Canadian North. Canadian Veterinary Journal, Vol. 5, No. 10, pp. 262-267.
12. Croft, A. 1937. West Greenland sledge dogs. Polar Record, Vol. 2, No. 13, pp. 68-81.
13. Cyriax, R.J. 1963. Arctic sledge travelling by officers of the Royal Navy 1819-1849. The Mariner's Mirror, Vol. 49, No. 2, pp. 127-142.
14. Degerbøl, M. & Freuchen, P. 1935. Mammals, Report of the Fifth Thule Expedition 1921-24, Vol. II, No. 4-5 (The Eskimo dog, pp. 141-187).
15. Elton, C. 1931. Epidemics among sledge dogs in the Canadian Arctic and their relation to disease in the Arctic fox. Canadian Journal of Research, Vol. 5, pp. 673-692.
16. Haag, William G. 1948. An osteometric analysis of some aboriginal dogs. University of Kentucky Reports in Anthropology, Vol. VII, No. 3, pp. 108-264.
17. Hadwen, S. 1935. The Eskimo dogs of the Eastern Arctic. The Beaver, Outfit 266, No. 1, pp. 33-40.
18. Hadwen, S. 1937. The Canadian sledge dogs of the eastern and western Arctic. Polar Record, Vol. 2, No. 13, pp. 59-68.
19. Jensen, B. 1961. Folkways of Greenland dog-keeping. Folk, Vol. 3, pp. 43-66.
20. Morrison, D.A. 1984. A note on Thule culture dogs from Coronation Gulf, NWT. Canadian Journal of Archaeology, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 149-157.
21. Nellemann, G. 1963. The gelding of dogs in Greenland. Folk, Vol. 5, pp. 245-248.
22. Orr, N.W.M. 1965a. The food requirements of Antarctic sledge dogs. In: Canine and feline nutritional requirements. Proceedings of a symposium organized by the British Small Animals Veterinary Association, London, May 1964, pp. 101-112. Oxford, Pergamon Press.
23. Orr, N.W.M. 1965b. Food requirements of dogs on Antarctic expeditions. British Antarctic Survey Bulletin, No. 7, pp. 53-67.
24. Orr, N.W.M.1966. The feeding of sledge dogs on Antarctic expeditions. British Journal of Nutrition, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 1-12.
25. Orr, N.W.M. and Rhodes, M.0. 1959. Dog physiology supplement to Dog Report (Hope Bay). British Antarctic Survey Archival File AD6/2D/1959/V2 (unpublished).
26. Peters, H.B. 1939. Der Eskimohund (Canis familiaris groenlandicus Walter 1817). Zeitschrift fur Hundforschung Neue Folge, (Leipzig), Band XIV, Heft 1.
27. Plummer, P.J.G. 1947a. Preliminary note on Arctic dog disease and its relationship to rabies. Canadian Journal of Comparative Medicine, June (11), pp. l54-160.
28. Plummer, P.J.G. 1947b. Further note on Arctic dog disease and its relationship to rabies. Canadian Journal of Comparative Medicine, November (11), pp. 330-334.
29. Reece, A. 1954. Sledge dogs of the Norwegian-British-Swedish Antarctic Expedition 1949-52. Polar Record, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 32-37.
30. Rokeby-Thomas, H.R. 1939. Notes on dogs and sledges in the Queen Maud Sea and Coronation Gulf areas. Geographical Journal, Vol. XCIII, No. 6, pp. 535-539.
31. Savage, A. & Isa, J.M. 1947. A note on changes in the brains of dogs from Fort Ross, 1946. Canadian Journal of Comparative Medicine and Veterinary Science, Vol. l l, pp. 161.
32. Soper, J.D. 1940. Eskimo dogs of the Canadian Arctic. Canadian Geographical Journal, Vol. XX, No. 2, pp. 97-108.
33. Taylor, R.J.F. 1957a. The physiology of sledge dogs. Polar Record, Vol. 8, No. 55, pp. 317-321.
34. Taylor, R.J.F. 1957b. The work output of sledge dogs. JournaI of Physiology, Vol. 137, No. 2, pp. 210-217.
35. Taylor, R.J.F. 1957c. The breeding and maintenance of sledge dogs. Polar Record, Vol. 8, No. 56, pp. 429-440.
36. Taylor, R.J.F., Warden, A.N., & Waterhouse, C.E. 1959. The diet of sledge dogs. British Journal of Nutrition, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 1-16.