From the Editor
Canadian Inuit Dogs I have owned, raised and trained: a photo essay; Part 3
Book review: Across Arctic America
Book review: White Eskimo
Interview with Author Stephen Bown
The Thule Atlas Project
March distemper outbreak in Ilulissat
Okpik’s Dream/Harry Okpik still going strong
IMHO: I’m “Neat” with Tarps
Navigating This Site
Index of articles by subject
Index of back issues by volume number
Search The Fan Hitch
Articles to download and print
Ordering Ken MacRury's Thesis
Our comprehensive list of resources
Defining the Inuit Dog
Talk to The Fan Hitch
The Fan Hitch home page
The Fan Hitch, Journal of the Inuit Sled Dog, is published four times a year. It is available at no cost online at: https://thefanhitch.org.
The Fan Hitch welcomes your letters, stories, comments and suggestions. The editorial staff reserves the right to edit submissions used for publication.
Contents of The Fan Hitch are protected by international copyright laws. No photo, drawing or text may be reproduced in any form without written consent. Webmasters please note: written consent is necessary before linking this site to yours! Please forward requests to Sue Hamilton, 55 Town Line Rd., Harwinton, Connecticut 06791, USA or firstname.lastname@example.org.
This site is dedicated to the Inuit Dog as well as related Inuit culture and traditions. It is also home to The Fan Hitch, Journal of the Inuit Sled Dog.
Harry Okpik (l) and his 2016 Ivakkak partner, son Matthew Airo Okpik,
and their lead dog. Photo: Pierre Dunnigan
Okpik’s Dream, Harry Okpik Still Going Strong
Okpik’s Dream continues to screen at events and festivals throughout Canada and internationally. The documentary film about the trials and triumphs of Nunavik dog man Harry Okpik,
• was nominated for Best Documentary Program at the 2016 Canadian Screen Awards.
• had its director Laura Rietveld, become laureate of the Prix du CALQ (Counsel of Arts and Letters of Quebec), Work of an Emerging Artist in Montreal for 2015 for her work as writer and director of Okpik’s Dream.
• had also been selected for the Tour of Quebec Cinema and screened in Kuujjuaq, Nunavik where Harry Okpik and director Laura Rietveld offered a Q&A session.
• was an official selection at the NIFF (Niagara Integrated Film Festival) and screened on June 12th in Niagara Falls, Ontario.
• other recent 2016 and future screenings:
Les Rendez-vous du cinéma québécois festival, in Montreal, February
Harry Okpik and his son Matthew raced together for the very first time in the March/April 2016 Ivakkak.
The Okpik’s Dream DVD is available from CatBird Online Boutique for $19.99 CDN each plus shipping.